Saturday, October 2, 2010

Project 1 - Chris Kennedy (CK)



The most obvious thing missing from this image is a background - I really didn't know what to do that would be pretty passive and not get in the way of the rest of the image. If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them.
Shapes - the small circle with the X is a drawing object, the "case" is a merged object with another drawing object on the top part because of the original use of a gradient (#66FF33, #999999, #FFFFFF) only in that area. My only primitive shape is the newspaper photo.
Pen - I used the pen for 3 main sections: the bite marks on the game case, the newspaper, and the buildings in the photo. The buildings weren't necessarily best done with the pen, but the curves were most easily implemented in the other parts.
Text - Pretty simple. The big red text has a drop shadow and gradient glow, and the small text is not formatted at all, just rotated. You can see that my game case image is kind of funky in 2-D; I'd like to to have some more perspective but I'm not much of an artist.
Other tools - Pretty sparing use of pencil, brush, etc. The pencil was used for the writing scribbles with the smoothing modifier, the brush for the green X on the circle of the game case, and the spray can for my "crumbs".

My goal was to establish a rough idea of something I could use on my website to liven it up a little - maybe my scope was too small or it just doesn't lend itself to great use of all the available tools. I like the pen tool because of its ability to do straight and curved lines without too much fuss; I can't draw freehand to save my life. It let me add some curve to the newspaper instead of just being a rectangle, which I think would be less realistic. I don't see myself using the pencil much just because of its sensitivity. I started with a fairly small scale; the real banner of this sort would probably be much bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment